Tuesday, December 26, 2006


Suit Up and Show Up, and God Will Do the Rest

Some days you don’t want to get up. Some days you just don’t want to face what you know is coming. Some days you just don’t know what to expect. Some days are like all the others, while others bring the unexpected. But you wake up and the day is here.

How do you see that day? Are you wondering where your next meal will come from? Maybe you have a good idea where you might find work, but you can’t seem to find enough change for the bus to get across town where the opportunity awaits, (if it still is available). Maybe you know that you will get what you need today, but the people you will probably see are just waiting to give you grief. Will you make it through the day without being abused? These are a few of the contemplations common in the “Wards” of downtown Houston, as well as many other places all around us.

Speaking with my buddy Darrell, I am always reminded of the kind of day it is going to be. Today is the Lord’s day. What a blessing just to be able to get up and breathe! But I’m not just gonna sit here and be glad to be alive. If this day was given to me by my Creator and God, then I know He has work for me to do. There’s a purpose for this day. Whether it turns out to be so similar to many other days, or whether it contains an unexpected turn, it is my job to face it. I need to be prepared for whatever He brings my way. This is the day that the Lord has made. I will rejoice and be glad in it.

But what if what today brings some horrible event? What if I’m faced with something I don’t feel like I can do? It doesn’t matter. God brought it to you. Your job in the morning is to “suit up and show up.” Outside of that, what are YOU going to do today really? Wake up with praise on your lips, suit up with the full armor of God in your morning time with Him. Go out into the world ready to serve, knowing that the strength you need for EVERYTHING will be given to you as He apportions it. Just suit up and show up, and God will do the rest. That is something worth getting up to see. That is something worth getting up to do.

No comments: