Thursday, May 10, 2007

What Liberty Island Means to Me
by Jessica Foust


It’s difficult for me to put into words what the people of Liberty Island have meant to me in the last few months. The first time I participated in the Monday night devotional, I was blown away by the presence of God. Here in front of me were people that are easily overlooked by the world, and who rarely have ownership over their own lives. But for an hour on Monday night, they lead their own worship service. One night of worship with these amazing people, and I was hooked.

The residents of Liberty Island have long since become my friends and my brothers and sisters. They share what is on their hearts and encourage each other with their songs. What a powerful testimony to the power of God’s spirit to live in even the simplest of hearts! I am challenged by the simplistic honesty of Clark’s prayers and the passion of Rodney’s songs. The beauty of Mary’s voice and the smile on Millie’s face bring to light God’s grace and love for others. And watching Les, Kirk, and Michael serve these brothers and sisters with love and compassion, without pretense, inspires me to live with humility. I thank God for showing me His power to make each life an invaluable instrument for His kingdom.


Every Monday night, Impact leaders go to the assisted living facility known as Liberty Island to spend time with the residents, lead a time of devotion to God, and share with those they serve in a time of worship. Jessica, who also lends her time as a Bible class teacher, is one of many who have been Impacted by this unique ministry and these special people. If you would like to participate, just call the office and make arrangements.

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Great article Jessica!!! I'll miss you!